Monday, October 14, 2013

Psst.. Courting or dating?

September 15th 2013 – A bright sunny day in Bangalore which started off with my usual morning routine, where I take ages to get off the bed. This time though my dad made sure I do and then the half hour of yawning, wandering like a zombie across the room looking at the bed and wondering: should I? Shouldn’t I? I finally give up the temptation and get ready to… not go to work but to see a girl my parents chose for me, the one who is going to be a part of my life for…well…ever. I certainly did not see it coming. Not even a bit, but then life is full of surprises they say....

Like most Indian “arranged” marriages horoscopes were exchanged between parents, points matched, discussions happened and whilst all that, both the bride & groom were totally unaware of their destiny which was almost, if not all, decided by our parents. Considering the lazy side of me, I am glad I didn't have to do much other than meet her and give the final decision. To make this even more interesting, neither of us knew the other person’s name before meeting. Shooting in dark they say? This was very dark. We had no idea what we were getting into.

So I dress up in all casuals with flip flops, totally not apt for the situation but then that s all I was carrying as it was supposed to be a “house-hunting” weekend and not match-making. I was always curious how arranged marriages work, the first date which usually happens in the presence of parents, how they decide in such short span of time. It used to sound funny and many a times I made fun of my friends who went through it. Unfortunately, now was my turn. Cold feet? Nervous? Wondering what I should ask, not ask? Well, I had none of those feelings. Since it was a pre-lunch session, I was actually planning for lunch with dad at Gramin’s (one of my fav restaurants in Bangalore) and the fact that I hadn't been there for over a year, tempted me even more. I had the rest of my day planned before I even went to meet the girl of my life. Don’t judge me! 

Keeping the lunch aside, let’s get to the story. So I finally meet her along with the whole family and relatives, I do not remember exactly who all were present. Nevertheless, after few minutes of introduction, thankfully, someone said “Give them some privacy… let them meet alone”. And so we were sitting alone looking at each other, silence for a while, trying to come out of the already awkward situation wondering what we were supposed to do. We casually introduce ourselves and finally reveal our names. Then the usual Q&A what do u do? Where are u from? Hobbies? Bad habits? etc etc goes on for a while. Everyone then join us back at the table. Another few minutes of gossips and then we leave. Hola!! Lunch time @ Gramins’ (Again, don’t judge me!)

Burpp.. That was some spicy Indian masaledaar scrumptious lunch. If only there was a lounge to take a good nap.. and some soothing music.. and a cozy bed. There goes the diversion.

Around 3PM and we were on the way back to cbe by road. Seeking the apt moment, my dad subtly asks me, “So… what say?” and I go “Eh?” Fortunately I got her number and we took our time to accept the proposal.

The journey since then has been wonderful… (details censored)

To summarize my weekend, as my friends put it.. “yeh toh ghar dekhne gaya tha, aur ladki pata ke aagaya”. J

But All is well that ends well.. J It ended pretty well and none of them fell in any well (been long since I cracked a PJ. Guess I am back)


No comments: